Ants in your tortoise pen?
Most can be controlled with a sugar/boric acid combination.
following is a recipe
boric acid n. A water-soluble white or colorless crystalline compound, H3BO3, used as an antiseptic and preservative and in fireproofing compounds, cosmetics, cements, and enamels.
(HERE IT IS ... THE PROPORTIONS )
I made a Great homemade ant bait which did a really good job for almost nothing
1 teaspoon boric acid (available at any drug store,, $2.99 for 4 oz)
6 tablespoons sugar
2 cups water
Mix together in a jar till all dissolved. Label and store safely.
To use, soak a few cotton balls with it. Put them in a small plastic
container (margarine or > )with a few small openings in it for
them to get in. Be sure to Freshen it 1-2 times a week. I also put a
brick on top so other curious creatures could not get in.
This is a slow acting 1 percent solution to get them to take some back to the nest and even feed the queen. After a few weeks changing to a 1/2 percent should keep them gone.
- TNT Total Nutrition for Tortoises...
- Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix 1 lb...
- Dandelion (organic) Taraxacum...
- 2 lb of edible Spineless Cactus ...
- Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix 1/2 lb...
- Russian Tortoise Seed Mix 1/2 lb...
- Flower mix 2oz Free Shipping! USA...
- Russian Tortoise Seed Mix 1 lb...
- Organic Herbal Salad Mix 1 lb